Friday 2 October 2015

Vicar's Craft Corner - Sewing Table Revamp!

When we moved into our new house I naturally quickly claimed the second reception room as a Sewing Room. We have an old fold down table that was now a bit too small for our dinning room which makes a perfect cutting table and my little rolling sewing storage unit fits perfectly in one of the many nooks and crannies of our oddly shaped little house.

Just as I had everything pretty much sorted a new surprise emerged, the gift of a whole load of lovely sewing stuff from a very generous lady in church who couldn't make use of it any more. This included a sewing machine (a Bernina no less!), an overlocker and a whole load of threads, patterns and needles as well as a brand new sewing table.
 
 
Suddenly the possibilities of the sewing room were rather exciting all over again. A pot of eau de nil Laura Ashley eggshell and a couple of hours with a paintbrush and suddenly I had a new addition to the sewing room which now gives me a cutting table and sewing table in my little den.
 
Masking tape the handles, the key to a clean finish
 
I just can't help myself when it comes to wooden furniture, I am just itching to get at it with a paintbrush. It does mean, though, that any new additions blend nicely in with what I already have because I can change the colour to fit in with what is there. This, after all, has to be better than it ending up in the skip because it isn't the colour that is in fashion for homewares right now. And the range of colours available to paint furniture seems to be getting larger by the day so the options really are greater than ever.
 
 
For the board at the back I just bought a cheap pin board and pinned a piece of fabric I picked up in a Vintage shop to the board using white ribbon as a border and to make the pockets to hold handy bits and pieces.
 
The lamp is an ebay purchase and the little desk tidy and pen pot are from WH Smiths. The letter organiser is perfect for keeping my patterns so that I can see what I've got. I used a storage basket from H&M under the desk for all my large bits of fabric and the floral basket was another charity shop find that I use to store wool.
 
 
The next investment I am hoping to make is a dressmakers dummy, naturally covered in some lovely fabric. Now to get down to some hard graft needed to make progress in my dressmaking course. It's just all that bit easier in a gorgeous space though right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment