Friday 8 January 2016

Vicar's Kitchen – Old Faithfuls

Confession time...I am still in hibernation mode. I know, I know. It is a shiny new year full of possibility and potential etc etc and that is very true but, well, sometimes the change you need to make is no change. Instead you need to settle down with a three series box set of Mr Selfridge and chocolate cake from M&S and go nuts. Just me? Ahem....!

While I am in this particular mood I have found myself gravitating back to some old faithful recipes, some of which I realised that I had forgotten about over the years. A recent reminder was of Roast Veggie Enchiladas which I used to make all the time. When this bad boy re-emerged this weekend my husband actually cheered, bless his heart!

from www.simplyrecipes.com

I picked up this recipe from my stint in the church kitchens in Aberdeen. I volunteered there for a few years cooking meals for people attending a course to develop their marriage. I was pretty hopeless most of the time being in my early twenties and not much familiar with any kind of cooking that required more than' 'pierce lid and put in microwave'. But I learned a lot and it was one of the factors that kick started my love of cooking.

So here is one my absolute favourites and true old faithful of a recipe. It is warming and comforting but actually rather good for you given that it is packed to the gills with veggies. Enjoy!

Roast Veg Enchiladas

You will need:

A selection of veggies to roast, my fav combo is:
  • Butternut Squash
  • Peppers
  • Courgette
  • Red Onion
Olive Oil
A pack of tortilla wraps
One small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
A teaspoon of chopped red chilli (I use Really Lazy Chilli, it is fab!)
A tin of chopped tomatoes
A generous pile of grated cheddar

  • Start by preparing your veg for roasting. Chop into roughly equal size chunks and toss in a roasting tray with a couple of tablespoons of Oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until the veg is soft and nicely browned.
  • Meanwhile make the Tomato sauce for topping the enchiladas. Fry the onion until soft in a small pan, add the crushed garlic and chilli and fry for a minute or so more. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about ten minutes until the sauce has reduced right down. It needs to be like the consistency of salsa, If it is too runny then it will soak through the enchiladas and stop them crisping up. Bad news!
  • When the veg are done, split them into the number of wraps you are hoping to make. I like to make two wraps per person and have them nicely full so for two people I would split the veg mix into four portions. Spoon into the centre of the wrap the fold up ends and roll in the sides like so.....!
Skills!! From http://visual.ly/brassas-mexican-grill-how-roll-burrito
 
  • Place in a lightly oiled baking dish. You can pack them snuggly together. Top with the tomato sauce and with the grated cheddar.
  • Pop back in the oven (at about 200) for twenty minutes. The edges of the wraps should be nicely golden and the cheese browned and bubbling.
Let me know how you get on!

P.S Today I have linked up this post with #PickNMix hosted by the lovely A Cornish Mum and Mummy and Monkeys. If you have found me through that then welcome! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks yummy. James cooks vegetarian fajitas every now and then and they are surprisingly nice. Thanks for linking to #PickNmix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this just looks delicious, I've been hibernating still and at this time of year comfort food is my downfall!

    Thanks for linking up to #PicknMix it goes live at 7am tomorrow if you want to try and get in early and higher up the list - means more comments usually ;)

    Stevie :)

    ReplyDelete